Join us online for a journey to Palestine with "WAJIB" (The Wedding Invitation) as part of a #NetflixParty online viewing on Monday, June 1 at 7:30pm. Discover #Arab #Cinema and invite all your friends for this rousing, heartwarming, delightfully humorous family drama and road movie about a father (Mohammad Bakri) and his estranged son (Saleh Bakri) on a journey through Nazareth and directed by renowned Palestinian filmmaker Annemarie Jacir. RSVP now at: http://cs-wajibfilm.splashthat.com
WAJIB (The Wedding Invitation)
Directed by Annemarie Jacir
Palestine, France, Germany, Colombia, Norway, Qatar, UAE
2017 | 96 minutes | In Arabic with English Subtitles
Rating: ( 15+ ) - Suitable for viewers ages 15 and above
NOTE: This is an online viewing show. Please see the Netflix Party section below for details on how to get setup and easily access the online screening program.
Synopsis: A father must come together with his estranged son for a traditional task in this rousing family drama and road movie by renowned Palestinian filmmaker Annemarie Jacir. After years abroad in Italy, architect Shadi (Saleh Bakri) returns to his native Nazareth. But this is no spectacular homecoming: he’s back somewhat begrudgingly to honour his “wajib” (or duty) to hand out invitations to his sister’s wedding with his father, Abu Shadi (played by Saleh Bakri’s real-life father, actor-director Mohammad Bakri), a long-time resident. Travelling around the city together in a car, often stuck in traffic, the simmering tensions between them build; with Shadi embodying the views of diasporic Palestinians who may remain politically engaged but grow naïve in their ideas about life back home; and his father, those of the realist negotiating the everyday compromises necessitated by life as an Arab in Nazareth. In Salt of this Sea and When I Saw You, Jacir explored the displacement of Palestinians but here, she examines the experience of Palestinians living within Israel’s borders for the first time. With humour rooted in observational moments, including the Bakris’ uncanny ability to convey the simultaneous love and exasperation that is universally endemic to volatile family relationships, Wajib is a moving tale that dances along the easily blurred line between love and duty.
WHAT DO I NEED? 1) Netflix Account 2) Desktop/Laptop Computer 3) Internet Connection 4) Google Chrome Web Browser 5) Netflix Party Extension downloaded on Google Chrome extension.
HOW DOES IT WORK? Just follow these simple steps below to get setup ahead of time and to receive a party invite link on the night of the screening.
1. RSVP/Register now (see above) so your email address is on the guest list.
2. Go to netflixparty.com (Click) and install the free Netflix Party extension using Google Chrome browser. It allows us to synchronize our viewing with audiences and be connected while watching together. Once installed an “NP” (Netflix Party) icon will be visible near the upper-right-hand corner of your browser on screen.
3. Open and login to your Netflix account on your desktop or laptop computer with Google Chrome web browser.
4. A party invite link will be provided by email to all registered guests promptly at 7:15PM on the night of the show Monday, June 1 to access our online screening. Please be sure to check your email on time. The screening will start at 7:30PM.
5. Click on the party invite link that you receive and it will take you directly to our screening through Netflix's website. You must click on the RED “NP” (Netflix Party) icon in the upper-right-hand corner of your browser to automatically access the screening or it will not work.
6. Now you're part of our Netflix party! You'll see a chat window on the right side of the screen. As you join, you can see yourself and others in this chat window. If you wish click the icon in the top right (probably popcorn or a hamburger, etc) to change your nickname and avatar.